Life. She definitely has a sense of humor. I’ve found that she holds some universal truths that remain secrets until you’ve experienced them for yourself. Generally these truths are foretold to you by your elders. I remember thinking to myself, “Oh that’s not true, you’re exaggerating. Sure, that’s how it was for you but it won’t be that way for me”. Almost everyone of these ideas were told to me by my parents, grandparents, or teachers and for some reason, I never believed them! As I grow up, life has revealed some of her truths to me one by one. Every time I experience another, I laugh and remember the time it was told to me long ago. Here are some of my favorites that are truer than true:
- Don’t rush to grow up, you’ll miss being a kid when you’re older.
- School is better than work. Enjoy school while you can.
- Don’t eat too much cookie dough, it will give you a stomach ache.
- Be nice to everyone, you never know when you will cross paths again.
- Everything you’re stressed about now won’t matter years from now.
- You can’t eat pasta by the plate your whole life without getting fat.
- Marriage takes work, it’s not as easy as you think.
- Getting fired isn’t always a bad thing.
- Friends will disappoint you but don’t give up on them.
- Time goes by exponentially faster with age.
Have any truths of your own you care to share? Spare me the experience. Please, do tell.